Thursday, September 9, 2010

Colin's 1st Day of Preschool

I can't believe my Colin started preschool today! We've been talking about it all summer, reading books about preschool, driving by his preschool, etc. because he's the type of kid that needs lots of warning for big changes. Chris and I took him to preview last week where he got to meet his teachers and classmates and check out the classroom and playground. He was very anxious at first. And when I say anxious I mean heels dug into the ground as we dragged him into the classroom, clinging to my legs, hiding from the teachers, looking down at the ground if anybody talked to him, ANXIOUS. But after a few minutes of being in the classroom, he found their toy fire station and quickly warmed up, had fun, and got excited about going back for his first day. Over the last week we've been practicing his teachers' names, practicing songs that they will sing in class, talking about his schedule, recapping all the cool toys the school has, and most importantly, we decorated his tote bag. He *loves* his bag and was so excited to take it to school. We also did some shopping for new school clothes, including his super cool dinosaur shirt from Nana (which he was so happy to wear since it was cool today). He was really pumped!
Then, last night as I was tucking him into bed, he told me that he didn't want to go to school and instead wanted to stay home with me all day. I reminded him how much fun school was going to be and kissed him good night, but it made me a little nervous for today's drop-off. This morning when he first woke up, he was again telling me that he didn't want to go today. I was having visions of having to drag him into the classroom, tears streaming down his face, a forced smile on my face, and tears on my part in the car when it was just me and Eli. But by the time everyone had breakfast and was dressed, he was hurrying me along to take pictures and get out the door so we wouldn't be late because he "didn't want his classmates to have to wait for him". Aww!



He did great posing for the pictures and was super excited on the drive to the school, but once we went inside the building, he started to get a little clingy. Again, I was having doubts about the drop-off (talk about an emotinal roller-coaster this morning), but once he got inside the classroom and found his hook for his tote bag (with his name and picture above it) he got comfortable and excited to be there again. When it was time to say good-bye, he gave me a quick hug and went right to playing. I snuck a quick glance back at him as I was leaving and he was already doing his thing and not paying any attention to me.



When it came time to pick him up, he gave me a huge hug and told me that he had so much fun at school. He was really looking forward to going back tomorrow and was a little bummed when I told him he wasn't going back until next Tuesday. He told me his favorite part of preschool was playing on the playground and he was super excited to tell me that they ate pretzles for snack. I'm not sure if he actually played with any of the kids because he told me that he only played with their substitute teacher who was helping out in the classroom today. But at other times, he would tell me about the girls and boys who were in his class, recite their names, and mentioned how they all wanted to go to Mr. Freeze after dinner. He enjoyed listening to the stories they read and told me about how they all helped to clean up. I'm so proud of him and I'm so happy he enjoyed his first day of school. I know he's going to have an awesome year!

Now that's one excited preschooler!

3 comments:

  1. Awww so glad it went well for him (and you!) Love all the pictures of him- you can just tell how excited he was for his first day :)

    Wishing Colin the best year at preschool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shrug poses! I'm so glad he had a great first day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Colin! Aunt Kara is so proud of you and can't wait to hear all about preschool from you the next time I see you!

    ReplyDelete