Monday, September 21, 2009

Colin's Music/Movement Class

Before Eli was born, I started enrolling Colin in a gymnastics class at the YMCA. He was a little tentative at first but ended up loving it. After Eli was born, we finished out the class he was currently enrolled in and didn't bother signing him up for anything for the summer because I figured he'd be too busy playing outside to be interested. Well, with Fall arriving, I decided to enroll him in another class at the Y. I also felt like it would be a great opportunity for he and I to spend some one-on-one time together. Since they don't have a kids zone at the Sports Zone where Colin took his gymnastics classes, I decided to enroll him in something music-related instead of leaving Eli 1/4 mile down the street at the Fort Meigs Y kid zone or carrying him around in the Baby Bjorn. So, for the past 3 weeks, Colin and I have been attending a music and movement class on Thursdays at the JCC. I have to admit, I had high hopes for the class because Colin *loves* music and we had such a good experience in gymnastics. Unfortunately, the class isn't as great as *I* had hoped it would be, but at least Colin looks forward to attending every week. Of course, that could also have something to do with the fact that his buddy, Sam, also attends the class. The pictures below are from last week's class which Colin especially enjoyed because they played Playhouse Disney songs for the entire class. Strangely, the more Colin enjoys the music, the less he listens to the teacher and the more he prefers to dance on his own or run around the studio. Hmm, maybe I need to rethink that gymnastics class.

The class starts with some stretching.


Next, the kids were given a balloon and a paper plate and were told to bounce the balloons on the plate, down the mat. Um, I don't think I have the coordination to do that let alone a 2 year old...


Next, the kids play follow-the-leader and pretend to be different animals. Colin has actually gotten a little better at this over the last couple weeks.


Now the fun begins - Imagination Movers songs!!


Getting stamps at the end of class is one of Colin's favorite parts. He really looked forward to this in gymnastics too.


Hurrying through the gymnasium to pick up Eli.

No comments:

Post a Comment