Thursday, November 4, 2010

Trick-or-Treating

We were pumped for the kids to go trick-or-treating this year. Chris had the wagon ready, we put tons of layers under their costumes, and we were optimistic about the kids' behavior because Colin had such a great time last year and we figured Eli would just follow along with him this year. Colin told us he was pumped. Eli would get riled by Colin's excitement. Then we stepped out the door, there was a group of kids already at our house, and suddenly Colin didn't want to go. He only wanted to stay home with me and pass out candy. Now, I realize that passing out candy has been a highlight for him the past two years, but usually he trick-or-treats first and then helps me. I tried to explain there would be plenty of time for him to help after he came back. I tried to explain that if he missed trick-or-treating, he would have to wait an entire year before he could do it again. I appreciate his giving heart but I just didn't want him to regret his decision and wish he had gone. No amount of cajoling was going to work on him. We said good-bye to Daddy and Eli and he and I set up camp to pass out our treats. He seriously is the best helper. He dropped all his reservations with strangers and ran up to each kid who came to our house and placed the candy in their bag/bucket/etc. He would say things like "nice costume", "Happy Halloween", and "have a nice night". Where did this kid come from? Chris and Eli didn't stay out long since it was just the two of them. From what I understand, Eli was a bit reserved at the first house but quickly warmed up and was unabashedly taking handfuls of candy from subsequent houses. Cute this year, but we'll need to curb that behavior for next year. Hee hee! After returning, Eli went quickly to bed and it was just Colin and I again. After another 45 minutes or so, at about 7:30pm (please note that trick or treating lasts from 6:00-8:00 in our neighborhood), Colin announced that he was ready to go trick-or-treating. Seriously? Half the houses on our street had already turned out their lights or had run out of candy (we traditionally get over 150 kids in our neighborhood). But I couldn't say no to that sweet, excited face. We got Chris to take over our post on the porch (Colin said he wouldn't go unless Daddy took over passing out candy) and we headed out. I think we only walked around for 15-20 minutes, but it was enough for my little man and I was happy he got the experience. We turned our own lights off shortly after returning home and headed inside to warm up with hot chocolate and pumpkin pie. Of course Colin took a sip and a bite of each and decided he didn't like either. He requested grapes and crackers instead. Silly boy. I hope everyone else had a Happy Halloween too!

1 comment: